Tuesday, June 19, 2007

June 19,2007
A Great City

At almost every point in the city I can see a number of old buildings that have no windows and are blackened by just a few years of civil war. I have heard stories of battles that were fought over buildings simply because they had good sniper positions. Fortunately the war is over and there is a small amount of beauty in the distressed look of the buildings that tower above. Many times I have wondered about the story behind the some of the old hotels and office buildings that seem so numerous around the city. I imagine what they would have looked like in all their splendor and I observe how each is slowly crumbling to the ground as they become home to hundreds of squatters. Every once and awhile I see a glimpse of how Monrovia would have looked like and I pray that someday it can again become a great and respected trading port.

No comments: