Friday, June 22, 2007

June 22, 2007
Second thoughts on Liberia

Two weeks ago I wrote a post about the thoughts that first ran though my mind when I arrived in Monrovia, now I would like to write about what I have seen and how my thoughts have changed over the past week.
I have been trying to keep a neutral view on the way I see people here, but as we begin to have more dealings with the Liberian people some of my views have changed. Please understand that I am not trying to put everyone down, I simply am stating what I have seen and how Liberia differs from America.

One of the first things I began to notice about the Liberian culture is that, life is lived one day at a time. Any money that is earned that day is usually spent that day and not much is saved or invested. I think that this is not a horrible way to live considering monthly income is low. But I would imagine that with a little planning, many Liberians could provide for their children and themselves for tomorrow not just today.
Another thing I have observed is that the job market isn’t very creative. Most people are either, a security guard, a taxi driver, or a street salesman with a wheelbarrow. I think this is either because the Liberians (in general) don’t have a good record of trust or most don’t have any education.
A different problem I see here is that religion for most people here is just an action; it never mixes with daily life. Sundays I see hundreds of people dressing up and carrying their bibles. But most other days I wonder if it really means anything to them because crime and chaos is still part of their lives.


“Two things are certain in Monrovia …. Death and taxies …. They are both very much alike”

No comments: